The Club was founded in 1866 by the owners of houses on the Esplanade. As a result of the construction of the Esplanade they lost direct access to the river from their gardens and needed somewhere to keep and launch boats from. They formed the West of Scotland Amateur Boat Club and constructed the clubhouse. In 1885 the Club was granted the Royal Charter after providing a boat that was used to row Queen Victoria on Loch Maree, during one of her summer tours of the Highlands.
The clubhouse is on two levels. On the upper level we have the bar, a large hall which is available for private functions, a full sized snooker table and a members lounge with TV. There is also a balcony with scenic views over the Clyde, where you can have a chat and refreshment after a day on the water. The lower level has a boat repair workshop, canoe/kayak and rowing boat storage, as well as male & female changing rooms. This is accessed via a boat ramp from street level.
More detailed information about the different activities and events at the Club is available on the appropriate tabs or pull down menus.