The Royal West of Scotland Amateur Boat Club is organising a ‘Loony Dook’ on New Year’s Day. This event is open to the public both as participants and as spectators. This event has been running at the Royal West since 2016.
This event is dependent on conditions and could be cancelled if conditions are considered unsafe. An announcement will be posted on the RWSABC website under news by 12 noon on 1 January if the event is cancelled. (https://www.rwsabc.co.uk/news/)
Entry to the water at the Royal West will be at 2:30pm. The Changing Rooms and Hall will be open from 2pm. Our changing rooms at the Club are relatively small so please bear this in mind. After the dip and swim the Hall in the RWSABC Club House will be open and hot drinks will be served along with cake. Payment will be by donation and any money raised will be used by the Club to support our activities.
If you are participating, then we have these recommendations to make your dip/swim as enjoyable as possible:
• Wear sandals, water shoes or flip flops as the walk down to the beach is stony underfoot,
• Wear a swim cap or woolly hat that you don’t mind getting wet,
• Most people will be swimming in swim costumes and those in wetsuits are equally welcome to join in,
• Bring a towel to dry off with after your swim,
• Bring plenty of warm clothes to change into after your swim. Be sure to have a dry woolly cap to place on your head after your dip/swim.
Prior to the dip/swim a safety briefing will be given. You should be a competent swimmer comfortable in water depths over your head if you wish to participate.
If you wish to receive a Certificate of Participation, we will give you an email address where you can ask for one to be sent to you.
After the event if you wish to share any photos then please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org We may use your photos and will acknowledge that you produced the photo if used.
If you have questions please send an email to email@example.com