Winter Talks 2023 – All talks start at 7:45pm at the Royal West of Scotland Amateur Boat Club
The Winter Talks are an opportunity for various experienced Members and outside experts to share their knowledge with those who attend. Winter Talks will take place on various Tuesdays beginning on 17 January and conclude on 21 March. These talks won’t be on every week so please look at the schedule shown below.
- 17th January – Speaker: Matt McElroy Subject: Tides – Matt will tell us about tides and trip planning over two talks. You are encouraged to attend both to have a full understanding of these important topics.
- 24th January – Speaker: Matt McElroy Subject: Trip Planning
- 31st January – Speaker: Des Morris Subject: Weather – Des will give you the low down on what to consider from the point of view of weather before taking a boat out on the water.
- 14th February – speakers: John Green and Adam Graham Subject: Life Jacket Care and Skiffs Film – John will give a short talk on the inspection and care of lifejackets and PFDs. After this Adam will introduce a 50-minute film produced by the SCRA to commemorate the first 10 years of St. Ayles Skiffs.
- 28th February – Speaker: Alan Cadenhead Subject: Equipment – Alan will review the equipment one should consider having for water sports.
- 7th March – Speaker: David Nairn Subject: Mammals in the Clyde – David of the Clyde Marine Mammal Project will bring his enthusiasm to give us an update on the work he is involved in.
- 14th March – Speaker: Jennie Ferdinand Subject: IALA Buoyage and an Introduction to Collision Regulations – Jennie will review IALA Buoyage and introduce Collision Regulations. This will allow you to understand the buoys that you might encounter while out paddling, rowing and sailing. She will also cover the ‘rules of the road’ while on the water.
- 21st March Speaker: To be confirmed Subject: VHF Radio Refresher – We are hoping to have a speaker in to give an overview of the use of VHF radios in the context of water sports at the Royal West. Note: No qualification will be gained from attending this talk.
These talks are free and are open to RWSABC Members and their invited guests. For further information contact the RWSABC Honorary Secretary.